Saturday, May 24, 2008

I've been soooo busy....honest!

Sorry I haven't posted this week, but the darn PhD is interfering with my craft time! I have to give a presentation on my dissertation topic on Monday to both my supervisors, the head of school and all the other first year PhD students in the school..... it's starting to freak me out a bit. It's so much work, writing the damn thing, making a PowerPoint slide show and a handout. Honestly! Everyone knows that it's probably going to change at least six times between now and when it's actually finished. I swear they only do it to annoy us!

Enough about the boring stuff.... on to the fun stuff. Since I haven't had much time and all my creativity has been sucked up by the presentation, I took inspiration from the SCS challenges and combined the latest sketch and colour combo challenges to produce this:

It's a Blue Bayou card base, layered with Soft Sky and Whisper White. The images are from Garden Whimsy and inked in Blue Bayou, Soft Sky and Certainly Celery. The DSP is Celery paper from the gorgeous Palette of Prints pack and the sentiment is from 'Warm Words' and inked in Blue Bayou (I think this is becoming my favourite of the in colours!) It's not exactly earth shattering but I liked it.

The second challenge I completed last night is from Caardvarks. The challenge is to make a tag inspired by a month of the year...or just go on and make 12 of em...which I'd love to do but NO TIME!!! I decided to make mine about July, cause that's when my birthday is and I LOVE BIRTHDAYS! Can you guess what date mine is????

I used a chipboard tag from 'On Board Accents' and covered it in Almost Amethyst card stock. I then stamped the 'wish big' and the tiny little cupcakes from 'Short and Sweet' in Elegant Eggplant.... cause what's a birthday with cake and wishes. Of course birthdays also need balloons and flowers. The balloons are punched out of Pretty in Pink, Lovely Lilac and Elegant Eggplant CS, with the little shiny thing (whatever you call it) drawn in white gel pen and then some of them were popped up on Dimensionals and covered in Crystal Effects to make them shiny. The strings were drawn in with EE Marker. I printed the 10 out on the computer and cut it out and also covered it in CE to make it shiny. The July is stamped in EE ink with the Short Order alphabet. The flowers are Primas and held together with a purple 'Ice' rhinestone brad and a silver brad with a glue dot on top dipped in glitter (more shiny shiny). There's a jump ring through the hole in the top of the tag and there's heaps of different SU ribbon tied on: Pretty in Pink grosgrain, taffeta and gingham, white gg, Eggplant gg and the wider gg in Regal Rose. The longer piece of EE ribbon is so I can hang it up...cause when I was finished making it I liked it so much I wanted to look at it all the time. So there you go, all the things I like about birthdays all packed onto one little tag. It was heaps of fun to make and if I get a chance I might even do some more.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great day.

Kristie

5 comments:

June Houck said...

Hi, Kristie! Thank you for leaving comments on my blog (I LOVE comments!)

I've added you to my favorites so I can keep up with your creations. Your cards are sweet! My favorite is your May 12th post with the Madonna set and cameo coral. VERY niiiiiiiiiice.

Good luck with your Phd presentation. I hope you will keep us posted on your progress :)

MadonnaDunn said...

very nice tag Sister Dear!! I love what you've done. I may just have to make me a May one!! LOL. Or maybe a November one with a small but adequately sized baby on it!! PMSL.

Nikki Bond said...

Your card is gorgeous Kristie! I love how soft those colors look and our tag is fantastic!!! Love love love all those flowers! I wish you luck on your studies.... Make sure to find more time to craft....consider it therapy! LOL Have a GREAT weekend! {SMILEs}

Anonymous said...

I love that Lauren 'made' you join the fun ... and that you celebrated your birthday with your creation ... fabulous!

lauren bergold said...

oooh! OOH! oooOOOoooOOOoOOOHHH!!!

...sorry...i am gonna do this in reverse order b/c that FAB TAG is just totally stealin' the show! WOW! i absolutely looooooove it! (& i especially love that YOU love it...hung it up...i *SO* totally DO THAT TOO!!!) :)

which is not to say that your card isn't also rather magnificent and quite, quite beautiful!!!

re thesis presentation: i suspect they ARE doing it just to annoy you...b/c when they worked on theirs...someone did that just to annoy *THEM*...and in your turn, someday, you will do it to future doctoral candidates...in revenge!!!!!!!!! (the great circle of academic life...in action!!!)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online