Wednesday, August 12, 2009

For Madonna and a question…

Yesterday I was able to sit at the craft desk and make a quick card. Nothing very spectacular, but inspired by a card I’d seen in my web travels. Unfortunately I can’t remember which blog it was…but if it seems familiar let me know…LOL!

S6302362

This one’s for Madonna because she will be so proud of me….I voluntarily used Cameo Coral!!!!!!!!!!! Rather startling I know, but the use of lots of Basic Gray tones its garishness down a bit :) I’ve just cut some strips of the new Walk in the Park papers and stuck them onto the CC. I’ve used a Grey card base, ribbon and ink to stamp the sentiment from the single Birthday Wish stamp. It was stamped on So Saffron and layered with Baja Breeze to bring together all of the colours from the DSP. I finished it off with a new Kiwi Kiss corduroy button.

To be honest I didn’t really like this DSP when I saw it in the new Mini and I didn’t order it. But after seeing it in real life and in action at Madonna’s launch I am now in love with it. So in love that I decided to use it to cover a paper-mâché suitcase I picked up at Spotlight. Bit now I’ve run into a problem! I’m going to pick Madonna’s brain about what to do this afternoon, but I want to ask you all as well….you can’t have too many options :)

This is the dilemma:

S6302363

This hardware is not easily removed and I’m scared that if I try I will wreck the whole thing…so I need a way around it. Any suggestions????

I’ve covered the top, bottom and back of the case in this paper:

S6302364

It is sooooooo pretty. I have thought about painting but I’m just not completely sold on that idea. So please, please, please let me know what you think I should do with it. Thanks, you guys are the best :)

OK, I’m going to go make my DT card for this weekend now, while I’m feeling alright. I’m looking forward to hearing your ideas about the suitcase and I’ll be back soon (I hope!).

Lily signature copy_thumb[1]

4 comments:

Carol Dunstan said...

I'd be careful picking Madonna's brain, there's very little left as it is!!!

First, I'd make a template out of scrap paper or old (ugly) DSP. So wrap it around the suitcase the way you are going to wrap/stick the good stuff on and mark where the offending hardware is. Then I'd find punches to fit the sizes of the areas you need to work around. Then I'd test it on another piece of scrap just to make sure you have got everything where it should be. Then I'd do it ont he good stuff. Is there some way to get the handle off without having to take all the metal off the suitacase? If not I'd just make a small slit from either top or bottom so you can slide the handle through. Hope that helps - that's just my theory on it, I've never actually covered a tin or anything like this, LOL

Tracey Feeger said...

I agree with Carol about trying to do a template with a scrap bit of paper but what i normally do is put temporary tape on the paper - place over the hardware and trace around the shape with a pencil and then cut it out. It works most of the time but in doing that you are probably better doing a rough template instead. LOL. Love the card and I have seen on my travels but don't know where.
mwah
Trace

Leslie Hanna said...

This is why I do not alter anything like this box! I like the template ideas. You could also do it in pieces - stop at the hardware on both sides and do a separate piece for between/under the handle.

Paint would work, too. :-) You could paint just around the handle and hardware and paper the rest of it.

Oh, and I love that paper, too! But then I love most papers ....

June Houck said...

I ran into a similar problem last August when I covered that white tin/lunch box. It was a pain in the patootie, but I made a paper template to go around the hardware. If I were doing this project, I would probably paint (in the same color as the main color in the dsp) a little around the hardware BEFORE adhering the paper. That way if the paper isn't cut perfectly, the paint will make it look okay. Does that make sense?

It looks beautiful so far!!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online